A ubiquitous social networking software feature wins "Screenshot of the Week." In a perfect world, shouldn't Facebook's spell checker already KNOW how to spell "friending?"
According to The Free Dictionary, "friending" IS a word.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.
5. Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker.
tr.v. friend·ed, friend·ing, friends
1. To add (someone) as a friend on a social networking website.
2. Archaic To befriend.
In fact, "befriending," the spelling Facebook suggests, is categorized as "Archaic." Okay. Maybe the actual spell checker app was coded by a third party. But Facebook could certainly customize it, couldn't they?